Sunday, August 28, 2011

Jeepskool and Big Silly Mining Equipment!

July 2009, we were back off to Ohio. This year's race was no longer at Mid-Ohio VMD because of a flap between Ahrma and the AMA, which was fine, because we went to Jeepskool for another "Chicago" Jerry course. As with most of his courses it had a little of everything, and was a really fast track. It had quick woods riding, with decent ups, downs and twisty bits through the trees,
But the best part was when the course dropped down into the pit bottom, which had some really fast dirt road sections,
And the craziest bit of all, pea gravel that was like riding on ball bearings. It was fun stuff, but completely unforgiving. If you dropped off your line and lost speed you sank down into it and then had to fight to get back on top, weird stuff. Here's Max doing it properly,
And me, again proving I always know how to screw up in front of a camera. Suspension loaded, wheels legs and smoke going every direction but straight, bike and rider in a catywumpus skid,
Good times! Really, it was a damned good race.
We had so much fun, and were so excited that we hadn't been rained on that we signed up to check trials, which we'd never done before, and found that was fun too...until it started raining and we got soaked. Fed up with rain we loaded wet bikes, tents and riders into the truck and drove to scenic Cleavland for a dry hotel and a wild night on the town, which in that 'burg is a relative thing. But! on the way back my nerdiness got the better of me and I subjected Max to the Big Musky Bucket, a nice piece of mining heritage.
I had saved a place for this thing in my brain because I had seen a picture somewhere of an entire marching band in the bucket,
So to impress everyone with how big we are, Max decided to take on the role of an ENTIRE MARCHING BAND! He's Huge, I know!
Actually, he's doing a crap impression of a marching band, but he was probably just confused because we weren't getting rained on at the moment. Hurrah!

4 comments:

  1. I just discovered your blog, and I read all of your entries and....Awesome. I totally dig your humble and humorous approach to writing about your entry into the world of AHRMA racing. I just purchased a cheap old bike and I am excited to start a similar journey. I look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoy it. Get that bike into an Ahrma event!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What Scott said! Get that cheap old bike in the dirt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course, as anyone whose raced an old dirt bike knows, the best way to magically transform a "cheap old bike" into a "really expensive bike" is to take it racing. Which is mysterious, because if you tried to sell it, it would no longer be even a "cheap old bike", but would then be a "beat to death old bike". Truly mysterious.

    ReplyDelete